Question? Problem? Need Help? Dial 3-1-1

Learn how SWEEP keeps Philadelphia clean through education and enforcement.
Learn about the Philadelphia More Beautiful Committee (PMBC), and what they are doing to keep our streets clean and safe.

Street Event Application Guide (Formerly, Block Party App.)


Block Party Permits

Are there particular streets in Philadelphia that can't be used for street events?  

Yes. Arterial streets cannot be closed for street events.

What are reasons the Streets Department would deny a request for a street event, aside from an applicant not having the required number of signatures from neighbors?  

Street closures for block parties may impact mass transit, such as, trolley routes, trackless trolley routes, or multiple bus routes.  We also identify blocks on which there have been problems in the past such as Police activity or failure to abide by the terms and conditions of the permit.  Permit denials also occur when there are conflicts with construction. 

What do I have to do to close the street to traffic for a block party?

Fill out and submit a block party application for approval.
Where can I go or who do I call for a block party application?

By Mail
To have the application mailed to you contact: 
Customer Affairs Unit (between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM) 
In Person
To receive an application in person:
Streets Department's Right of Way Unit
Municipal Services Building, Room 940
1401 John F. Kennedy Boulevard 
Philadelphia, PA. 19102
To download from the Streets Department's internet site click here.
Do I need a signed petition to have block party?

Yes. There must be a signed petition for each date and each block. Signatures from at least 75% of the residents on the block must be on the petition. Only one signature per household will be accepted, and no photocopies of signatures will be accepted. 
Do I need petitions for "T" streets intersecting my block?

Yes. If there are any "T" streets, a petition for those blocks must also be included with your block party application. 
May I block my street off for the event?

Yes, but vehicles may not be used to block off the street since emergency vehicles may need to enter the street. 
Can the City provide me with barricades?  

No. The Police and Streets Departments do not provide barricades for a block party. It is recommended that the residents purchase yellow "caution" tape to block off the street, if needed. 
Is there a fee for having a block party?

Yes. $25.00 per day per block. The fee must accompany your application. For security reasons, only checks or money orders made out to the "City of Philadelphia" can be accepted. 

Is there a deadline for sending in a block party application to the Highway Division's Right of Way Unit?

Yes. A minimum advance notice of twenty-one (21) calendar days is necessary to obtain the approved permit in time to coordinate the closing of the street. There will be an increased fee of $45 if a block party request is made less than 21 days before an event.

When will I know when my application is approved?  

You should receive your block party permit within two (2) weeks prior to the event. If the permit is not received by that time, call 215-686-5500. 
Are procedures the same for religious events?  

What are the major summer holidays block party applications are approved for?  

Click here to see approved Holidays